SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
"Lavell, Shannon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:59:29 -0800
Hi Therese!
The Upstream Downtown event is in Kelowna, BC on Wednesday, 5 April at
the Bean Scene. Let me know if you do something similar. Or if you're
everin Kelowna let's do lunch.
Shannon Lavell
PS
Here is the body of the invitiation/email:

Meet us for "coffee" on Wednesday, 5 April from 6pm to 8pm at the Bean
Scene on Bernard in their meeting room.

I have been involved with a social change model in use by the National
Cancer Leadership Forum, a coalition of 45 national agencies, and have
been so inspired by the process. Although at times messy, this coalition
managed to get federal support for a national strategy in 26 months. The
work now lies with getting the provinces on board.

I want to share that social change model and include something I call
"personal and group development for non-violent communication" so that
we might go forth from our little community and pool our intelligences,
and get the word out in a focussed, respectful, non-labor intensive way,
that we need adequate social programs. And that running the system this
way is just too expensive in total costs across the board.

Come on out and get a jolt of hopefulness with a possible plan. I'll
have a 20 minute 'presentation' ready with some juicy handouts and the
rest will be hearing your good thinking and offering support to each
other for being the grassroots leaders that we are. Leading on your
block, in your family or with your clients.

	"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed
citizens can change the world. 	Indeed, it is the only thing that ever
has."

	Margaret Mead
	US anthropologist & popularizer of anthropology (1901 - 1978)

All the best,

Shannon Lavell RN BSN MA
Psycho-Oncology Counsellor
BCCA Centre for the Southern Interior
399 Royal Ave., Kelowna BC, V1Y5L3
1-888-563-7773
Direct line: 250-712-3971   Fax: 250-712-3987