SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 07:38:12 -0500

http://www.tompaine.com/articles/2006/03/20/immigrant_children_americas_future.php

Immigrant Children: America's Future
Nancy K. Cauthen and Kinsey Alden Dinan
March 20, 2006

Nancy K. Cauthen is the deputy director of and Kinsey Alden Dinan is a
research associate at the National Center for Children in Poverty.

We have heard from the president and the House of Representatives on
immigration reform.  Now, the Senate Judiciary Committee is debating the
issue, with the full Senate expecting a bill by the end of the month.
Despite the reality that more than 20 percent of this nation’s children
live in immigrant families, the debate has largely ignored these children.
We need national leadership that understands and cares about the needs of
immigrant workers and their families.

Immigrant children, and the much larger group of children born in the U.S.
of immigrant parents, are at great risk for living in poverty, which
compromises their health, safety and futures. Living on the edge even as
their parents work extremely hard, these children are less likely than
other children to receive help from government programs that protect
low-wage workers and their families... SNIP