SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 18:51:51 -0300
Dennis and colleagues,

The Mezy article "concludes that additional funding is
needed".  This is a frequent lament, yet it is rare that people say if the
money should come from existing funding(and if so where it should come from)
or from increased taxes.

Do you or list members know of any research that suggests how to identify the
sources of funding for worthwhile projects?

Would it be worthwhile compiling a catalogue of current activities that are
costly but provide few benefits and are therefore not costworthy?

I believe that some pleas for funding would be more likely to be met if they
were associated with comments on the sources of funding

Thanks for taking the time.

David Zitner

>===== Original Message From Social Determinants of Health <[log in to unmask]>
=====
>NEW POSTINGS AVAILABLE ON THE
>CHILDCARE RESOURCE AND RESEARCH UNIT'S WEBSITE
>* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
>23-Apr-04
>
>All postings available on CRRU's homepage
>http://www.childcarecanada.org/

>What's new in online documents
>
>- KIDS CANADA POLICY DIGEST
>New online resource from Canadian Policy Research Networks provides an
>inventory
>of policies and programs for children and families across Canada.
>http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?sh_itm=412153d68862c2d4c
5acd15abebdb760

>- MYTHS ABOUT THE ADEQUACY OF CURRENT CHILD CARE FUNDING
>by Jennifer Mezey
>Paper from the Center for Law and Social Policy examines six myths about
>federal
>funding for child care in the U.S.; concludes that additional funding is
>needed.
>http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?sh_itm=357a6f3082591c167
91d2bd37c033e38

>- WHAT HAPPENS WHEN CHILD CARE INSPECTIONS AND COMPLAINTS ARE MADE
>AVAILABLE ON
>THE INTERNET?
>by Ann Dryden Witte & Magaly Queralt
>Paper from the National Bureau of Economic Research finds "the internet
>changed
>the behavior of child care inspectors and improved quality".
>http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?sh_itm=fa872354e46bc0752
8926eefae6095be

>Child care in the news
>
>- PROVINCE'S DAY CARES RANKED LAST IN CANADA  [CA-NB]
>The New Brunswick Telegraph Journal,  April 23, 2004
>http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?sh_itm=3567d15924e78b446
62c0fe30f33cfe7

>- PRE-KINDERGARTEN BILLS UNDERMINE VOTERS AND 4-YEAR-OLDS  [US]
>Tallahassee Democrat, April 23, 2004
>http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?sh_itm=2aa14d0d5a047f0df
b5eb7df035164d6

>- QUEBEC LIBERALS URGE FEDERAL COUNTERPARTS TO FIX THEIR OWN PROBLEMS
>[CA-QC]
>Canadian Press, April 22, 2004
>http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?sh_itm=5712a9ad39bc78903
b28fd672c62e7a8

>- HUTCHISON CHILD CARE LISTS AT STRONG PREMIUM  [AU]
>Australian Financial Review, April 22, 2004
>http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?sh_itm=0c06c0a5c3604aaa8
5df640df3ddb563

>- JUDGE PUTS HOLD ON DAY-CARE PROVIDERS' UNION VOTE  [US]
>NBC News Channel 10, April 19, 2004
>http://action.web.ca/home/crru/rsrcs_crru_full.shtml?sh_itm=93720f59062267771
1a5368c82af9359

>This message was forwarded through the Childcare Resource and Research Unit
> [...]

David Zitner, M.A., M.D., C.C.F.P., F.C.F.P.
Director, Medical Informatics
Dalhousie University Faculty of Medicine
902-494-3802