SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Lynne Raskin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 12:21:23 -0400
David
As you may recall, in one of our earlier exchanges, I mentioned the CHC
Strategic Review which was commissioned by the previous Ontario
Government. You should be able to access it through the AOHC website.
You will find a lot of information in it which describes the sector,
articulates reasons for its success, identifies challenges within the
current Health and Social Service siloed systems and provides a sound
argument for a model which, although obviously not beyond reproach,
would be able to meet the primary health needs of all citizens, if it
were sufficiently resourced. In addition, we have created a
well-developed accreditation process, linkages across the province and
encouragement to challenge current thinking about primary care group
practices. We also operate with an understanding of the impact of
poverty/education (social determinants) on health status and how to
create services and programs that acknowledges this. We do research,
provide venues for student health professionals to practice, promote
volunteer civic engagement and in so doing, nurture improved health for
communities as well as individuals.

Building on what Hersh, Michelle, Stephanie and others have said, we are
also excellent employers, exciting places to work, are creative
problem-solvers, innovators and seek the input of our physicians, nurse
practitioners, health promoters, chiropodists, community outreach
workers etc equally and often. Our boards are members of our communities
who champion us and often use our services. This model brings disparate
components of communities together, creating a kind of synergy that you
feel as soon as you enter the premises. This was really not meant to be
a treatise on Community Health Centres, but mostly we do a good job, are
great places to work and we are often nauseatingly proud to be part of
them. I suggest you visit one.

Lynne Raskin