SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2004 17:42:06 -0400
http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2004-05-02-diet-cover_x.htm

Can only the rich afford to be thin?
By Nanci Hellmich, USA TODAY

Like millions of Americans, Christine Davies would like to lose a little
weight. The 37-year-old paralegal from Tacoma, Wash., says she's 30 pounds
heavier than she should be.
And like millions of Americans, she has experimented with whatever is the
diet du jour. But in each case, not for long. It wasn't just the discipline
required. It was the price tag. (Related item: Diet plans are budget
busters)

"I tried both the Atkins and South Beach diets, but pound for pound,
protein is a lot more expensive than carbs," she says. "The South Beach
diet recommends fish about three times a week. I'd have to eat canned tuna
three times a week to afford it, and I get tired of eating the same foods.

"Plus, you have to cook everything yourself," she says. "Following it on a
day-to-day schedule would be completely impossible because of the
complexity of the recipes and the cost of the foods."

She'll get little argument from Phil Lempert, one of the nation's leading
experts on food prices and grocery-store shopping. Using exclusive data
from AC Nielsen and menus from the best-selling diet books, Lempert
calculates that strict adherence to the low-carb, meat lovers' Atkins diet
would cost about $100 a week (presuming you eat all meals at home). The
salmon-rich South Beach diet priced out at almost $90 a week.

snip...