SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Patricia Paton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:15:30 -0700
Interestingly, in SK and AB, part of the cancer screening programs is
that after a PAP women do, in fact, receive a letter with results from
the provincial cancer agency.  Setting this up caused much debate around
privacy of personal information, and whether or not the cancer agencies
were allowed to have the personal info and to send it out.  Some
individuals were very vocally upset about their results being held by
the cancer agencies and about the communications.  They felt their
privacy was being violated.

Privacy legislation is pretty clear about the rights of an individual to
see their personal information AND their rights to make changes to
erroneous information.  This is not just health, but financial etc.  At
the same time, in health at least, there are certain provisions around
sharing information so treatment can occur in a timely fashion.

One possible problem is that staff training can be so focused on privacy
and security of information that there is in some cases nothing in the
training that says what you CAN give out, only can't, can't, can't.
Staff are afraid to say anything, and so they retreat to saying nothing
as the safe route.