SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Diana Liw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:05:01 -0800
Hi, Sandi.  I just came across this movie "Wit" staring Emma Thompson (one of my favorite actors).  It's about a professor being diagnosed with endstage ovarian cancer.  It's a heavy subject, but the movie is very witty.  It deals with some of the insensitivity within the health care system.  I would recommend every health care providers and patient to watch it.  This might be a better way to reach "the masses"?

"Summary
Full Synopsis:
Mike Nichols directs Emma Thompson in this made-for-cable adaptation of the Pulitzer Prize-winning drama by Margaret Edson. Thompson plays Vivian Bearing, a college professor who teaches a course on English poetry. Vivian learns that she has advanced ovarian cancer and only a short time to live, which gives her a sudden and dramatic insight into the importance of kindness and compassion. Wit also features Christopher Lloyd, Eileen Atkins, Audra McDonald, and Jonathan Woodward as Dr. Jason Posner, a former student of Vivian's who helps treat her. ~ Mark Deming, All Movie Guide

Running Time: 99 mins "
http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/movieDetails/186289

>>> Sandi Pniauskas <[log in to unmask]> 02/16/08 2:44 AM >>>
My original response was a bit different - this is the revision for
'public' consumption. Sandi

article + commentaries - http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/569156

Subject: Television program for Healthcare Providers and Patients

As a cancer survivor, several years ago, I approached a healthcare
provider on this very issue. My altruistic vision of this program was to
encourage a joint effort between healthcare professionals and cancers
survivours*. It was with a vision of open, public and yes, enthusiastic
dialogue. Extensive research has been published over the years
reflecting on the mechanisms of how exactly to include
survivors/patients/families (consumers). What better way to fast forward
these discussions and move into public participation and action. It is
still my opinion that the time has come for this venue, however, today's
world requires a fully inclusive approach. Education alone is
insufficient to address the unmet needs in our communities - all of our
communities. To succeed this program requires an inclusive and
interactive venue especially in light of today's cyberspace and
e-community networks. The sad truth is that as an individual, the power
to make this program happen was beyond my reach. Should there be
sufficient power and influence funding would not be an issue.

The time has come for an inclusive, public program and not specific to
the U.S.. Our patient communities extend beyond specific geographics,
but in fact exist in a global context. The proof is led by e-communities
which successfully transcend bias as to colour, socioeconomic status,
age or religion. One such community is ACOR - Association of Cancer
Online Resources (http://www.acor.org). You may also wish to reference
the recent study done and available through the website: "How Cancer
Survivors Provide Support on Cancer-Related Internet Mailing Lists", as
well as, the e-patients white paper.

As a past member of the WHO Patient for Patient Safety group, and
understanding the structure of WHO, this would be an excellent program
for WHO to initiate. The structure through WHO already exists.

Sandi Pniauskas

Note: survivour in the broader sense to include family/friend caregivers

Lundberg, George wrote: > Hi Sandi, > Thanks for writing. Would you like
us to consider your good letter for > possible publication? > Best
wishes, > george > > George D. Lundberg, MD > Editor in Chief, The
Medscape Journal of Medicine and eMedicine. > The Original Open Access
General Medical Journal and Comprehensive > Clinical Textbook.

SIGNOFF SDOH

SET SDOH DIGEST