SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:31:01 -0400
This one jumped out at me:

--------
GRINSPUN, DORIS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario:

Poverty is the single most preventable cause of illness and early death. Poverty is not having a
voice; lining up at the food bank; needing to decide between paying rent, groceries or winter
boots for your child . . . Being unemployed because your front teeth are missing, living ashamed
for always not having. Poverty is a societal failure, not the failure of the poor. Eliminating poverty
is a must if we are to strengthen social cohesion – it just takes bold leadership and a solid plan.
--------

It's not only Grinspun's first sentence, but also her including "not having a voice" (and first in that
list) which nails this definition as the most accurate for me.

Getting our voices back - and having them heard - is what WISE women struggled with most
often, but we also found our self-advocacy to be the most crucial first step to getting people's
respect and attention.

Also Grinspun's mention of teeth missing.

I can personally relate to that. It's an embarrassing condition. The number of missing teeth in my
mouth added to the stress of speaking at conferences. The gaps affect my ability to speak
properly and thus be understood. They make it necessary for me to be more aware of opening my
naturally small mouth as much as possible in order to shape my words.

Ocean
-----
WISE Book: Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health: Stories from the front
http://members.shaw.ca/chrystal_ocean/
Personal Blog: Challenging the Commonplace - and other irreverent activities
http://challengingthecommonplace.blogspot.com/