SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Christina McLennan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:25:31 -0700
As a graduate student in social work and as an instructor at the local
college teaching social work students I absolutely agree that a focus on
social determinants of health is critical for students. The issues of
concern for structural anti-oppressive social workers are those
determinants. None of the courses I took at the three social work
schools I attended focused on the determinants of health - through my
own interests I have done a lot of research around the importance of
social work in health related fields and incorporate that in my own
teaching and is the focus of my thesis research.

***********************************
Christina McLennan BSW MSW (Candidate)
University of Northern BC
Phone: 250-967-0208
Cell: 250-617-5629
Email: [log in to unmask]
***********************************

Dear Daniel,
   Right On (as we used to say). I teach social work and have created a
lifecourse and ecosocial epidemiology section, including Dennis's
"Social Justice is Good for Your Heart", in a foundation social work
course.  I also teach an elective, "Social Determinants of Health &
Healing" that takes a societal definition of "social", while using
language a little more familiar to students.
Stephen M. Rose

What a great discussion!

As a prof in social work, I'm appalled to see so many social workers
out there NOT trained in the determinants of health. Writing social
histories should be simple (e.g., write about the 12 basic
determinants
of health according to Health Canada) but instead we tend to focus on
other less relevant things (e.g., "he comes from a family of 3 sisters
and 2 brothers and they have 3 cats").  Hm....

Curriculum needs to include pop health from 1st year on. I'm
definitely
integrating a module on pop health in my first year social work class
this year.

Regards,
Daniel

______________________
Dr. DANIEL COTE, RSW
Assistant Professor and Coordinator BSW Program
School of Social Work
Laurentian University
935 Ramsey Lake Road
Sudbury, Ontario  P3E 2C6

(705) 675-1151 x5081
(705) 671-3832 fax
http://www.laurentian.ca/social_work/cote.php

Stephen M. Rose, Ph.D.
Professor, College of Health Professions
University of New England - Westbrook Campus
716 Stevens Avenue
Portland, Maine 04103
(207) 797-7261, ext.4431

the subject header --  to [log in to unmask]
SIGNOFF SDOH

DO NOT SEND IT BY HITTING THE REPLY BUTTON. THIS SENDS THE MESSAGE TO
THE ENTIRE LISTSERV AND STILL DOES NOT REMOVE YOU.

To subscribe to the SDOH list, send the following message to
[log in to unmask] in the text section, NOT in the subject header.

To receive messages only once a day, send the following message to
SET SDOH DIGEST

To view the SDOH archives, go to:
http://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/sdoh.html