SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Kristi Kemp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:39:43 -0400
hello all

i just had to write after greta's heartfelt response. greta, i feel your
frustration about language - i agree that sometimes, it's hard to see how it
matters what we call things, especially if we're seeing it in similar ways!
at least in this case (discussing social vs. societal determinants of
health), i don't feel that the precise use of language is as necessary as it
would be in others (for instance, i would definitely insist that we use
"people with mental health issues" instead of "crazy people"..but i am
digressing). i just wanted to lend my support to greta's response, because i
strongly believe that there is room for EVERYONE, academic or not, in this
fight to get our countrypeople to recognize the systemic social issues at
play in maintaining situations of poverty, whereby individuals are blamed
and stigmatized for being "unhealthy."

keep talking and keep getting stirred up - it inspires me to know that
people are still alive and kicking out there!!

Kristi Kemp, MA
Research Associate

Canadian Mental Health Association
Waterloo Regional and Wellington Dufferin Branch
Organizational and Policy Development
5420 Hwy 6 N, RR #5, Guelph, ON   N1H 6J2
Tel: (519) 766-4450 ext. 266   Toll Free: 1-866-448-1603
Fax: (519) 766-9211
Email: [log in to unmask]

> Hi out there.
>  I'm going to speak from the heart and not from the intellect.  What does it matter what we call things? I have been in the field for years, working with the poor and the mentally ill and the illiterate, and the seniors and with the single mothers.  Let me tell you the evidence for the determinants, whatever you call them, is there.  I'm 61 years old so I got my training when people were talking of Maslow and the basic needs as he saw them.  How in heavens name do you think people are supposed to learn when they are hungry? Or are full of pasta and nothing else?  Why should people stop smoking if they know they are going to starve 'no matter what' ?  Why would people make an effort to exercise when they cannot pay for whatever medications they might need?  How can people have quality of life when they cannot buy a bed to sleep in, much less have a room to put it in?  Let's get down to basics! Personnally I would like all the intellectuals and the politicians have to live i!
 n the misery that people live in for a while.  Sorry I had to get it of my chest!! I hope I'm still allowed to continue receiving all this intellectual stuff.  I do feel that the proof is there and I'd like to see the changes. I've been watching that bunch of politicians on TV discussing our Health Care system and it just bugs me like you would not believe that very little may change,  again   Greta