Sender:
From:
Aaron Daniel Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2001 16:46:45 EDT
I'm sorry to drag this thing out but I am just getting caught up my e-mail
and I have a strong opinion in the matter.
I remember being excited watching the first Twain Prize show and wondering
if
one of the speakers would pay a tribute to Twain. The Prize was for Richard
Pryor and Chris Rock was the first speaker. I'll never forget when he said;
"You know what Mark Twain would say to Richard Pryor? Pick up my bags."
If the powers that be behind The Prize would allow an insolent remark like
that which shows complete ignorance of Mr. Clemens and what he stood for, is
it really an honor for him to have the Prize named for him? I don't think
so.