Sender:
From:
Bob Gill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 20:00:13 -0400
> Bob...
>     ....what's your opinion of the autobiography that was dictated by Mark
> Twain?  I've just finished reading it, and enjoyed it thoroughly.

  I realize you weren't asking me, but I'll pretend you were anyway.
  As I understand it, only about three-quarters of the material Mark Twain
intended for his "autobiography" has been published to date _ mainly in the
two-volume edition of 1924, "Mark Twain in Eruption" in 1940, and Charles
Neider's version in 1959 or thereabouts. I think Neider's
version is by far the best from a general reader's standpoint, because it's
in more or less the standard form of an autobiography. But there's good
stuff in the other two editions too.
  Years ago, in the early 1980s, I read that the University of California
intended to publish all of Twain's autobiography, possibly in the form he
advocated _ arranged by date of composition rather than normal chronology.
But I don't think anything ever came of that, which is too
bad, because I'd sure like to read it.

Bob G.