Sender:
From:
Robert Slotta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 22:13:01 -0400
I know Twain wrote a lot about war, but I think one particular passage can
be applied to our present predicament with pin-point accuracy. The
"statesmen" are the "scholars" of the Taliban regime, "studying" the
predicament:

"... the  statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting the blame upon the
nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those
conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to
examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself
that the war IS just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys
after this process of grotesque self-deception. "

This , in my view, precisely describes what is presently transpiring. Our
adversaries are just incubating, but only time will tell. It certainly seems
as though Twain's observations of history are once again bound to  be
repeated.

Sorrowfully,
Bob