Sender:
From:
Wesley Britton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 14:16:57 -0500
It is going to be interesting to see how the words of sages past are used to
reflect current feelings and attitudes in a climate that inspires many
compare/contrast situations.  Watching CNN today, I noticed the recital of
crimes and harassment's against Muslims, Hindus, and other groups and
thought of Twain's early newspaper columns in which he called attention to
Sunday Schools that preached lessons against the Chinese. With considerable
irony, Twain responded no one should be surprised if young boys would go out
and stone Chinamen with the glow of religious righteousness.  I also noticed
the ongoing pressures on Bill Mahr's "Politically Incorrect" show and
thought of Twain's statement that "only dead men can tell the truth."  On
one hand, we see old bigotry's rising to the surface--on the other, we see
voices seeking to suppress dissent.  Twain has much to say about these
matters and I suspect his voice is going to be of even more interest in the
classroom than it has in recent years.