From:
Larry Marshburne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 06:24:04 -0800
Larry H.,

Look at "Contemporary African American responses to
_Huck Finn_" (Larry Marshburne), in the Forum
archives: 002199 96/05/06.

Also, see my "The NAACP and Mark Twain", in _Mark
Twain Journal_, v.36,no.1, Spring, 1998, where I show
that "Mark Twain and the NAACP have a long and
generally positive relationship fostered by the NAACP
leaders' awareness of Mark Twain's respect for and
sensitivity to Black America."

A reprint of DuBois' 1942 contribution to the _Mark
Twain Journal_ (then the _Mark Twain Quarterly_), "The
Humor of Negroes" is in the same 1998 _Journal_ issue.

I don't know of any evidence of Twain and DuBois (or
other NAACP founders) meeting.  The first documented
Twain-DuBois connection is DuBois' extended quotation
from Howells' memoir _My Mark Twain_ in the 1910
inaugural issue of the NAACP's _The Crisis_.

Finally I want to acknowledge here that Alan Gribben
never got proper credit for extensive help in
organizing and editing my NAACP article.  Judy Small
also helped in the final editing.

Thanks, Larry M.