From:
Dustin Zima <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2013 14:56:12 -0400
I have a quick question for the forum regarding Kevin's incredible discovery.? Let me set it up first:? Sam began as a cub pilot in 1857; he received his pilot's license in 1859.? The article that Kevin found is from 1861.? He adopts the moniker in 1863, which very well could have been as a result of the Vanity Fair article.? However, how does this conclusively rule out the previous assumptions/educated guesses as to the nom de plum ?? Furthermore, this leads me to at least question--most respectfully--Kevin's conclusion that the use of "Mark Twain" in the Vanity Fair article, combined with the assertion that it was a publication that Sam had read or been aware of, "provides simple, logical answers to dangling questions, is contradicted by no known facts," and that "everything fits like a glove."? Would Sam not have already been aware of the term's adaptability into a believable pen-name?? Perhaps not since he did not christen himself "Mark Twain" until 1863--two years after the Vanity Fair article.? However he was interested in writing before becoming a cub pilot, and the years during his piloting days were profoundly influential to Sam as a writer/thinker/observer--see Life on the Mississippi.? Would Sam not have been led more by his cherished days of piloting, specifically the language from those days? ? ? ?