From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 12:16:57 -0600
Also, I would like to point out one other interesting aspect of this query:

Again, the two great mythic figures of the 19th century are paired--Twain
and Lincoln.  This interesting pairing, going back to Howells and probably
before his statement in My Mark Twain, should be duly noted by others of a
mythologizing sort besides myself. . . .

--Hal Bush

ps -- my own 2 cents -- I am almost certain this is a Lincoln quote, but do
not have here in my office the resources (nor the time at the moment) to
try and locate it--

did anyone try the Bartlett's as Prof. Camfield suggested??

Dr. Harold K. Bush
Saint Louis University