From:
Harold Baillie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 20:21:51 -0400
Please forward the titles of the essays you have been reading that lead you
to believe Huck is inappropriate for high school reading.  I have had
success with this book because the novel challenges the romantic notions of
the early 19th century, has elements of transcendentalism, and raises the
possiblity of discussing the issues of race and class and the idea that most
people do not think for themselves.  Tom Sawyer does in no way provide a
forum for such insight, and Huck provides perhaps the best vehicle to
compare Twain's later works.
  I don't imagine for one minute that what I am saying is original, but I
can't understand the reasoning for abandoning this novel  in high school.
Paula Baillie