From:
Lloyd J Grant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Jul 2001 01:32:49 -0400
Roger,  thank you.  I believe that no "Honest Man" would ever lay claim to
the "lily white" mantle.  I sincerely believe that our friend was as honest
a man as could ever lay claim to the title.  I am only a dear friend of Mr.
Clemens;  one of many he has not yet had the opportunity to meet.  There is
much understanding to be gained from discourse with his other friends, and
the enjoyment of his writings, wisdom, and insights;  but , I fear, nothing
to be gained from the dissection of his "gift".  It was a gift, Roger, and I
think you and all will agree with me that for the most part he employed it
well and in the general good interest of his fellow man.

I am not a scholar, sir, but I genuinely appreciate the credence of all, and
the generosity with which my request for biographical assistance has been
met.

Again, many thanks.  Your help and suggestions are encouraging.

Lloyd Grant.