From:
Hilton Obenzinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 09:27:34 -0700
I have received over email copies of Twain's War Prayer circulating
spontaneously.  I think this demonstrates the immediate relevance of
Twain's work.  There are nuances and historical realities -- Twain was
pro-War in 1898 and it took a process of increasing disillusionment to
reach the state of The War Prayer.

Hilton Obenzinger

At 10:35 AM 9/17/2001 -0500, Bruce Michelson wrote:
>With regard to the Forum's mission and possibilities, a few
>perceptions we might want to think about:
>
>1) Because the author we discuss together is not just any American
>author, the Forum may need now to bear special responsibilities in
>mind.  In times of war, cultures and nations often return to writers
>traditionally and intuitively regarded as great, as sources of
>national wisdom, as spokespersons for collective experience, as
>companions in weathering hard times.
>
>2) While various subjects and styles of literary discussion become
>irrelevant in wartime, Mark Twain, as a subject, may intensify in
>importance. This happened more than once in the 20th century.  We are
>lucky to work with a writer who has memorable things to say about
>war, the conflict of technological and traditional cultures, belief,
>community, the coming together of diverse people in times of mutual
>need and danger.  Because Twain is the writer America loves to quote
>and refer to, we ourselves may have a role of stewardship to play.
>
>3) As other dialogues shrivel in the heat of war, ours may need to
>mature.   The Elmira conference proved once again that we have
>scholars with character and class, scholars who can speak plainly and
>constructively.  I hope we can follow their lead.  As new people come
>to the Forum with questions and curiosity, and others listen in to
>see what a Mark Twain community values, I hope we can share
>perceptions and reason together in ways which bring credit to Mark
>Twain, ourselves, and the humanities in the West.
>

>Bruce Michelson
>University of Illinois

Hilton Obenzinger, PhD.
Associate Director of Undergraduate Research Programs for Honors Writing
Lecturer, Department of English
Stanford University
650.723.0330
650.724.5400 Fax