From:
Connie Kirk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 11:57:53 -0400
Dear MT Forum:

Ok; I need to seek help from the collective Twainian brain again for the
young adult biography I am writing about the author (Greenwood Press).  I
suspect this question is an old one that any number of you could help me
sort out.  I have come across several different images of Livy Langdon that
purport to be the one Charley Langdon showed Clemens aboard the _Quaker
City_.  She looks quite young in some of them.  The caption below the
version in the Berkley _Letters_, Vol. 2, (ed. by Smith and Bucci, 1990) (p.
439) says that the original ivory portrait does not exist, but that the
portrait shown there (she looks like a child in it) was in Clemens's
possession at his death.  Is that where this question stands, currently, or
is there a consensus among scholars over which one is "the" one?  Is it
likely that this "girl" image is the one he first saw?  Perhaps this is one
of those mysteries/debates that still exist in the scholarship?

Thanks in advance for your expert advice and counsel.

btw:  Quarry Farm was beautiful over Columbus Day weekend.

Connie Ann Kirk
Mansfield University