From:
Jim Zwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:35:36 -0500
A Brazilian edition of Mark Twain’s anti-imperialist writings and other social
criticism is now available.  The Postscript, which situates the book within
the history of translation and study of Twain’s writings in Brazil, is available
online at the publisher’s site at:

http://www.efpa.com.br/telas/produto.asp?Id_Produto=103&ID_Familia=1

You can run several paragraphs at a time through online translation
services like AltaVista’s Babelfish (http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/)
to get a rough translation from the Portugese.

Here is the full publication information and contents list:

Patriotas e Traidores: Antiimperlialismo, politica e critica social

Edited, introduced and revised translation by Maria Silvia Betti, professor
of North American Literature, University of Sao Paulo

Translated by Paulo Cezar Castanheira

Published by Editora Fundacao Perseu Abramo, Sao Paulo

Contents List

Mark Twain: Uma Redescoberta Oportuna, by Maria Silvia Betti

ANTIIMPERIALIMO

Saudacao ao seculo XX
A volta do antiimperialista
A procissao estupenda
Informacoes
Patriotas a traidores: discurso em jantar do Lotos Club
Bem-vindo ao lar: discurso em jantar no Lotos Club
Para aquele que vive nas trevas
Os Estados Unidos do linchamento
Patriotismo monarquico a republicano
Progresso material e a gana do dinheiro: carta a Joseph H. Twichell
Carl Schurz, piloto
O verdadeiro patriotismo no teatro das criancas

HAVAI

As Ilhas Sandwich: depoimento de Mark Twain
As Ilhas Sandwich: conclusao do depoimento de Mark Twain
Nossos amigos selvagens das Ilhas Sandwich

RUSSIA

Ao editor de Russia Livre
O soliloquio do czar
Russos sofredores
Republica russa

AFRICA DO SUL E AUSTRALIA

Africa do Sul
Australia

GUERRA HISPANO-AMERICANA/FILIPINAS

A mais digna das guerras: carta a Joseph H. Twichell
Recrutas para uma cruzada de crucifixao da liberdade: carta a William
James Lampton
Treinamento que funciona
A estupenda piada do seculo
A bandeira americana
Defesa do general Funston
Oracao da guerra

CHINA

Vergonhosa perseguicao de um garoto
John Chinaman em Nova York
Aos meus criticos missionarios
China e Filipinas

CONGO

Soliloquio do rei Leopoldo: a defesa do governo do Congo
Um erro original
Twain chama Leopoldo de assassino de 15 milhoes

RAGA, GPNERO E RELIGIAO

So um negro
O Nobre Pele-Vermelha
A respeito dos judeus
Mulher-Uma opiniao
Conselho as mocas
Votos para as mulheres
A pequena Bessie auxilia a Providencia
Religiao

FICCAO E JORNALISMO

A historia privada de uma campanha fracassada
O homem que corrompeu Hadleyburg

POSFACIO - Mark Twain No Brasil, by Maria Silvia Betti

Cronologias
Fontes Dos Textos Publicados
Indice
Indice Remissivo

--------------------------------------

This book provides an interesting glimpse of what might be done down the
road when more of Twain's writings are available online through the Mark
Twain Project's efforts to get the manuscripts online.  Almost all of the texts
used for the translations published in the book are from my site with two
more from Barbara Schmidt's Twainquotes.com site, and only six coming
from various books and anthologies (Following the Equator, The Portable
Mark Twain, etc.)  I think it's the most thoroughly Internet-based book I've
seen, and with its original translations, introduction, postcript, notes,
chronologies, etc., it's an excellent example of how online materials can be
used for original research worldwide.  As the full archive becomes available
for research from anywhere in the world, the possible research projects will
be more or less endless.

That said, I'll add a reminder that year-end donations to support the Mark
Twain Project can be made online through its site at:

http://bancroft.berkeley.edu/MTP/support.html

Jim Zwick
http://www.boondocksnet.com/