From:
Gregg Camfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:24:02 -0700
To weigh in on the other side, let me say that sentimentalists of the
eighteenth and nineteenth centuries called themselves realists, and most
were also Christians.  This was the tradition out of which Howells's
work sprang.  See my _Sentimental Twain_.

Similarly, Europeans often blended Christianity with realism.  Consider
Tolstoy.  In fact, Hal, you may find more of what you seek from a
comparativist perspective.  At any rate, American fundamentalism is far
from the only brand of Xtianity.  While Our puritans hated the Book of
James because it is too "worldly," much of the world's Xtian tradition
accepts the idea that faith without works is a dead faith and that
Xtians needed to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, etc.  Such a creed
demands paying close attention to the world.  Look at Conn Yankee for
Twain's sense that priests who actually pay attention to the needs of
the people are the true servants of Christianity.

Gregg