From:
Gregg Camfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:09:00 -0800
It's nice to know that teens DO still have an affinity for Twain's work,
especially since the pieces that I think teens would most like tend to
be buried in long books or collections that are not at all accessible.
I think, for example, of Mr. Brown vomiting over Mr. Twain's doggerel
verse rendition of Polonious's advice to Laertes, or the original
Palestine dispatch that describes dried camel dung stuck to plaster
walls as frescoes by the Old Masters.

In short, I think teens and pre-teens like Twain because he can
challenge manners in a deliciously adolescent way.  But I know of no
research on the subject.

Gregg Camfield