From:
Sharon McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:20:40 -0400
Wish I could have been there--and hope there will be more such events in the
coming years.

I'd love to hear more about the Roundtable and the ideas presented that you
all found particulalry thought-provoking and exciting.

re:  "Little Dixie":

While most of Missouri followed the pattern of northern slavery, with small
households, farms and hiring out slaves as described so well in Terrell
Dempsey's book, the central region of Missouri, along the Missouri River,
was the site for the hemp plantations.  Slavery in this region was more like
slavery in the Deep South, with large plantations and slave quarters; the
region was and is still known as "Little Dixie."

If you're interested in reading more, R. Douglas Hurt's 1992 study,
_Agriculture and Slavery in Missouri's Little Dixie_ (U of Missouri Press),
is useful.  George Rawick's Missouri slave narratives also include some from
this region, as I recall.  And I haven't read it yet, but in 2006, Routledge
published a new study of slavery in the region, _Slavery, Southern Culture,
and Education in Little Dixie, Missouri, 1820-1860_  by Jeffrey C. Stone.

And Hal, your experience with the trooper seems to be part of a national
trend.  Here in Georgia, they've had a couple of "education" days about
driving in the left-lane and in the "gussets."  On those days, they didn't
give tickets, but stopped offenders and issued warnings.  Other days, they
ticket.

On a two-lane highway, the left lane is supposed to be for passing only.
And don't ever cut through the "gussets"--those areas marked with diagonal
lines (usually near turn lanes or exits)--either.  It's expensive.

Best,
Sharon McCoy