From:
Mark Coburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2007 12:42:24 -0700
I've always greatly preferred excluding "The"--even if Twain himself didn't
care much--because its absence suggests that Huck's adventures are or might
be open ended.  The book closes with himnds with him on the run . . . which
leaves the possibility of more adventures to come.

As for Kevin's comment, I've always been happy with THE HAMLET as a title.
It also fits well with its sequels--THE TOWN and THE MANSION.  It's maybe
Faulkner's funniest novel, and features V.K. Ratliff, one of my favorite
characters, and one who shows Faulkner's great debt to Twain. . . . But I
reckon it could be Kevin had that play about the Great Dane in mind, rather
than Billy Faulkner.

Mark Coburn