From:
Sharon McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2011 13:07:20 -0700
I am not familiar with "Brief Biography of Government" (though if you find it,
I'd love to know where it might be, if you've a mind to share), but I believe
that "A Difficult Conundrum" was actually a manuscript title for a piece
unpublished in Twain's lifetime, a title he later changed to "Flies and
Russians."  I looked for this one, because the title made me think it might be
related to the minstrel shows, but it wasn't.

Barb Schmidt has a wonderful feature essay on twainquotes.com, "Mark Twain on
Czars, Siberia, and the Russian Revolution," in which she argues that the
manuscripts show signs that Twain was thinking of combining the re-named piece
with "The Czar's Soliloquy," but that he chose not to.  Her bibliography shows
that "Flies and Russians" was first published in John Tuckey's 1972 Mark Twain's
Fables of Man.  I did not write it down in my notes, but I think the manuscript
might be at the Twain Papers in Berkeley.

And I could be completely mistaken about this, but as I recall both Lou's
argument and Sundquist's, the connection is more circumstantial and contextual
than directly evidential.  The case was notorious in its day and would have been
difficult to miss, especially with Clemens's fondness for keeping up with
current events.  It seems a likely deduction that the case would still have been
fresh in his mind when he made the twins Italian as a way of exploring the
attitudes of the townspeople and how quickly their fascination with exoticism
and Old World charm and their ambivalent denial of the color line can turn
murderous.

It was also one of those cases that mark the turning point of racial lynching,
as the reasons given for the lynching were that Italian crime syndicate members
(not sure whether they were called "mafia" then), who were impossible to
convict.  This would seem to belong to the old style of lynching (about
vigilante justice, redressing wrongs that the system could not), but as it was
also unclear that the so-called mob ties were anything but racist fantasy, it
also seems to belong to the new, paranoid racial lynching that was on the rise.
It seems likely that Twain would be particularly interested in this case and
that it would have had some influence on the writing of PW, but I can't recall
there being any direct evidence.

Sharon