SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 08:48:27 -0400
P3 are private public partnerships.  see below.

BCHC: No private hospitals in Canada's health care system - citizens'
watchdog group to premiers
[February 24, 2004]

Go to heu.org/2004/nr-02-23-04-watchdog.pdf> for printer friendly version.

As Canada's premiers meet in Vancouver with health care reform at the top
of their "to do" list, concerned citizens' and other advocacy groups have a
clear message for them - build public hospitals. Many provincial
governments are endangering public health care by putting up new hospitals
through public-private partnership (P3) arrangements with for-profit,
multi-national consortium, says the B.C. Health Coalition, one of numerous
community-based coalitions that are hosting more than 30 media events
across the country today.

Between them, governments in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec
are actively planning more than a dozen private hospitals - to be financed,
designed, built and administered through public-private partnerships that
are guaranteed windfalls for profit-driven corporations. New Brunswick and
Newfoundland and Labrador are flirting with similar plans and may soon
follow suit.

"We want the premiers to steer away from public-private partnerships for
hospitals. Public hospitals are the way to go. These private hospital
deals, which involve billions of taxpayers' dollars paid to multi-national
corporations over the life of the decades-long contracts, have to go," says
Terrie Hendrickson, coordinator of BC Health Coalition.

"In these private hospitals, corporations take over key hospital services
for 30 years or more, and make lucrative profits at the expense of patient
care and quality. In Britain, the high costs of privatization have led to
30 per cent bed cuts and 26 per cent staff cuts. Basically, we pay more and
get less."

B.C. Federation of Labour president Jim Sinclair says that the secrecy
surrounding the P3 hospital deals the B.C. Liberals are making for a new
facility in Abbotsford and a new ambulatory care centre at Vancouver
Hospital should concern all British Columbians.

"Gordon Campbell and his Liberals are desperate for a significant P3
project to get off the ground. They've even been warned by one of their key
supporters - the Independent Contractors and Businesses Association of B.C.
- that the Abbotsford private hospital needs to happen," he says.

"You have to wonder, with only one bidder interested in the Abbotsford
project, what is the government prepared to agree to in order to keep the
P3 dream alive? Taxpayers won't see what's in the deals until after the
multi-billion dollar contracts are signed, sealed and delivered," says
Sinclair.

"The citizens of the Fraser Valley are desperate for a new hospital. We are
being held hostage by a government that says we can have one, but only if
it's private," says Peter Thomson, spokesperson for the Fraser Health
Coalition and Council of Canadians Langley Chapter.

"Universal, accessible health services rely on non-profit hospitals under
community control. We need to push our politicians to resist the siren call
of privatization or we will lose our public health system," concludes
Thomson. "P3 hospitals are a serious threat to the future of Medicare in
this country and must be stopped."

-30-

For more information:
Terrie Hendrickson, BC Health Coalition at 604-681-7945
Jim Sinclair, B.C. Federation of Labour at 604-430-1421
Peter Thomson, Council of Canadians at 604-888-3153

Comments on BCHC: No private hospitals in Canada's health care system -
citizens' watchdog group to premiers
Post a comment