Sender:
From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2011 16:13:55 -0500
To our Canada Without Poverty team, colleagues in the Dignity for All
Campaign, and a select number of others:
 Canadian Scholars Press has just released the second edition of Poverty
in Canada: Implications for Health and Quality of Life, by York
University?s Dennis Raphael.  I was honoured and pleased to write the
foreword to this edition, following the original by Jack Layton in August
2006 which is included as well in the second edition (and how
appropriately given his passing and mounting legacy).  As I began the
foreword (an excerpt of which is here), this is ?the single most valuable
reference on poverty in Canada,? with sweeping coverage of the issue
including some of the most current and important data as well as key
analyses and insights.  I thus encourage you to try and get hold of a
copy.  The price is $69.95: Canada Without Poverty will seek support with
which to hopefully purchase a good number of copies at a reduced rate, and
make them available to those for whom the price would be out of reach.  If
anyone has any leads as to sources of support for this purpose, please let
me know
 On behalf of Canada Without Poverty I?d like to congratulate Dennis
Raphael for realizing the completion and publication of the second
edition.  We collectively need to leverage upon this publication: it
presents in one volume a compelling case for making poverty, as I wrote in
the foreword, a top five public policy priority for governments in Canada
? with the same if not greater determination for action
 Best regards
 Rob
 Rob Rainer
 Executive Director / Directeur executif
 CANADA WITHOUT POVERTY / CANADA SANS PAUVRETÉ
 Working in alliance with the CWP Advocacy Network / Travaillant en
alliance avec le Réseau de revendication CSP
 Honorary Directors / Directeurs honoraires
 Right (Très) Hon. Joe Clark
 Hon. Louise Arbour
 Hon. Monique Bégin
 Hon. Ed Broadbent
 Ovide Mercredi
 Ottawa office / Bureau d?Ottawa: 410-383 Parkdale Avenue, Ottawa, ON K1Y
4R4; (613) 789-0096 (1-800-810-1076)

Vancouver office / Bureau de Vancouver: (604) 628-0525

Web Site; Facebook; Twitter

Dignity for All: The Campaign for a Poverty-free Canada /  Dignité pour
tous: Campagne pour un Canada sans pauvreté

Help support our work! / Aidez-nous!

Canada Helps (donate on-line and receive an immediate tax receipt / Faites
un don en ligne et recevez immédiatement un reçu pour les impôts)
 The truth is that our country ? the ninth richest in the world ? is so
wealthy that it manages to mask the reality of poverty, social exclusion,
discrimination, employment erosion, mental health and youth suicides.  In
doing so, we hide the fact of a very serious national public health
problem.
 Hon. Monique Bégin
Get a free copy of Social Determinants of Health: The Canadian Facts at
http://thecanadianfacts.org

See what Jack Layton had to say about my books!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/04/10/cv-election-ndp-layton-platform.html

at 27:20

Dennis Raphael, PhD
Professor of Health Policy and Management
York University
4700 Keele Street
Room 418, HNES Building
Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3
416-736-2100, ext. 22134
email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.atkinson.yorku.ca/draphael

Of interest:

* New * Poverty in Canada, 2nd edition,
Forewords by Rob Ranier and Jack Layton
http://www.cspi.org/books/poverty_canada

About Canada: Health and Illness
http://tinyurl.com/2c2tm6l

Health Promotion and Quality of Life in Canada: Essential Readings
http://tinyurl.com/3C8zteu

Social Determinants of Health: Canadian Perspectives, 2nd edition,
Forewords by Carolyn Bennett and Roy Romanow
http://tinyurl.com/3fkbr8u

Staying Alive: Critical Perspectives on Health, Illness, and Health Care,
2nd edition
Foreword by Gary Teeple
http://tinyurl.com/4xlu4up

See a lecture! The Politics of Population Health
http://msl.stream.yorku.ca/mediasite/viewer/?peid=ac604170-9ccc-4268-a1af-9a9e04b28e1d

Also, presentation on Politics and Health at the Centre for Health
Disparities in Cleveland Ohio
http://www.case.edu/med/ccrhd/education