SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2004 13:32:20 -0400
People outside Canada may be intrigued by the issues being raised in this
national federal election campaign.

dr
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1085674500958_81083700/?hub=Canada

Layton blames Martin for homeless deaths
CTV.ca News Staff

Paul Martin is demanding an apology from NDP Leader Jack Layton, who
accused the prime minister yesterday of being personally responsible for
the deaths of homeless people.

Layton laid into Martin on Wednesday in Toronto at a nomination meeting for
his wife, Olivia Chow, saying Martin cut affordable housing programs as
finance minister, and as a result, more homeless people died.

"I believe that when Paul cancelled affordable housing across this country
it produced a dramatic rise in homelessness and death due to homelessness.
I've always said I hold him responsible for that," he said.

This morning in Victoria, a spokesperson for Martin said those comments
were "just way over the top."

The PM is expected to have more to say when he talks to reporters later
today in British Columbia.

Layton's comments came just hours after he unveiled the NDP's $61-billion
election platform, which calls for tax breaks for the poor, and tax
increases for the wealthy.

Harper called Layton's comments about homeless deaths outrageous.

However, he said Martin's Liberals are putting the lives of Canadian troops
at risk because they are being made to use antiquated equipment.

"We don't want to go over the top and start pointing the fingers at
particular individuals and saying they are guilty for deaths, but hopefully
as political figures we'll take our responsibilities towards citizens,
towards our troops seriously."

On Wednesday, Harper demanded the Liberal team drop an attack ad that
compares his tax proposals with that of the U.S.

Harper said the ads are inappropriate given the terror threat assessment
delivered on Wednesday, and could further stoke anti-American sentiment.

"I think given the security situation it's not appropriate for any
political party to do anything that would encourage anti-Americanism or
break down that co-operation at this point," he said.

"I have some concerns that some of their ads really play to those kind of
sentiments. They could become problematic if the situation here is
serious."

Liberal spokesperson Scott Reid said they won't be pulling the ads.

"The ads aren't about America," he said. "They're about Stephen Harper."