SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 17:01:00 -0400
---------------------- Forwarded by Dennis Raphael/Atkinson on 06/01/2004
05:06 PM ---------------------------

"Ann Eldridge Malone" <[log in to unmask]>@healthnet.org on
06/01/2004 04:38:44 PM

Please respond to Cardiovascular Health in the Developing World

Sent by:    [log in to unmask]

To:    "Cardiovascular Health in the Developing World"
cc:

Subject:    [ProCOR] Re: Inequality is fattening article

Ms. Toynbee,
I really appreciate all the elements you wove into your Inequality is
Fattening article.  I am a community health nurse in the inner city working
with mostly people who are poor.   I cannot begin to tell you how
frustrating it is to work in the U.S. health care "system" that largely
refuses to approach and respond to health and health-related needs in their
true holistic nature.  Instead we have this dreadfully harmful corporate
and greed-driven health care mess that gobbles up incredible amounts of our
money but does not do a whole lot to really promote health.  Actually, the
current "system" here in the U.S. is very harmful in many many ways--to
patients, families, as well as nurses, doctors and other health care
workers.  What a mess.  But we are fighting to change it for the better.

The inter-connectedness and interdependence of "general physical" health
with mental health, as well as  the inter-connectedness and interdependence
of one's health to one's place in community and in society, are such
neglected but vitally important concepts to understand and address,
especially for health care professionals.  We have an obligation to
understand and then to speak out.   I thank you for giving voice to these
issues.
Ann Eldridge Malone, RN, MSN
Ad Hoc Committee to Defend Health Care
37 Temple Place, 4th floor