From:
Roxanne Felix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 09:26:40 -0600
Sandi:

While I do agree that health promotion isn't necessarily the answer to
all of the health problems in the health care system, I think we need
to clarify what health promotion is.

Health promotion is about empowerment; mobilizing community action
on the determinants of health.  It is not simply "advertising campaign";
this is *one* strategy of health promotion that is often mis-understood
to be representative of all that health promotion undertakes.

In fact, health promotion practitioners recognize the most effective
way to changing behaviors is changing environments and policies, directed
by community action.  The results are enormous - most importantly,
generating capacity in communities to take action on other important
issues in their lives.

And, if health promotion activities are undertaken in an effective manner,
statistics show that 50-70% of cancers are in fact preventable.

This doesn't mean that there aren't a large number of cancer patients who
*have* led healthy lives, that still, unfortunately get struck by this
disease.
But there are a number of cancers that can be prevented.  Even more
important,
health promotion strategies can be used to increase the frequency with
which community members get screened for cancer, and hopefully, intervene
before the cancer is fatal.

So, I think Alison's point is quite valid.  If the future Canadian Public
Health
Agency loses its focus on health promotion, many populations will indeed
suffer.

If you'd like to know more about where I got my statistics and the health
promotion
work that my unit is doing in cancer prevention, feel free to send me an
email.

Sincerely,
Roxanne Felix
Diversity Outreach Coordinator