SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
NVHCC / Youth Aflame Ministries <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 26 May 2004 12:10:16 -0400
In a similar vein to this, the Community Legal Clinic - Simcoe, Haliburton,
Kawartha Lakes is about to start a Class Proceedings - Payday Advances
against organizations that provide payday advances and loans at high rates
of interest to the economically disadvantaged. They list an example of a
client on a disability pension with a wife and small child who was paying $
1500 to $ 2000 annually on interest charges which worked out to between 278%
to 515%.

In their latest Newsletter - May 2004 - they have more info on this.

Other items of interest in this newsletter include ...

1. There is a Poverty Law Workshop in Lindsay Ontario on June 3, 2004

2. Homeless Maze coming to Simcoe County on Friday, June 11, 2004 at St.
Paul's United Church, Orillia -- This one-day educational workshop is
designed to assist people in gaining a better understanding of what it is
like to be marginalized and facing issues such as homelessness, hunger and
poverty.  In an interactive setting, participants assume various identities
as they search through the "maze" of community resources in an effort to
meet their needs, such as housing, food, clothing, financial assistance, etc

Follow the link to the May 2004 newsletter from their site ...

http://www.slsc.ca/

Peter

****
North Victoria Healthy Communities Coalition
Youth Aflame Ministries Inc.
4094 Monck Rd., P.O. Box 322
Coboconk, ON   K0M 1K0
(705) 454-8875