From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 May 2004 16:41:53 -0400
At long last and more than a bit overdue, the premiere issue of the Mark
Twain Annual, the new journal of The Mark Twain Circle, is at the press and
will be mailed out to Circle members in June.  I hereunto append the
contents below ("Jumping Frog" reference). If you are not a member of the
Mark Twain Circle and want to join, send a check for $15 ($16 if outside
U.S.) to the executive coordinator:

Prof. Joseph Csicsila
Executive Coordinator, Mark Twain Circle
English Department
Eastern Michigan University
Ypsilanti, MI 48197

BTW, although the 2003 issue is coming out in the very late spring of 2004,
the 2004 issue is STILL scheduled for the fall of 2004.  You can send
critical or pedagogical articles on Mark Twain to me:

John Bird
Winthrop University

And now the contents of this year's issue:
Editor's Re:Marks

John Bird

Critical Essays

No "Mere Accidental Accidents": Roughing It as a Novel

Lawrence I. Berkove

Huck's and Jim's Dynamic Interactions: Dialogues, Ethics, Empathy, Respect

Victor A. Doyno

Mark Twain and Fishing

Gary Scharnhorst

The Androgynous Warrior: An Examination of Gender Blending in Twain's
Military Heroes

William Hecker

In His Own Time: The Early Academic Reception of Mark Twain

Terry Oggel

Pedagogical Essays

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Again!): Teaching for Social Justice or Sam
Clemens' Children's Crusade

Michael J. Kiskis

Lynching Colonel Sherburn

James S. Leonard

Forbidden Thoughts: New Challenges of Teaching Twain's The Tragedy of Pudd'
nhead Wilson

Jocelyn Chadwick

A Mark Twain Medieval Cookbook for the Classroom

Jules A. Hojnowski

Reviews (seven reviews)