From:
"d.raphael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:38:49 PDT
Hi Jim!

Though I do not subscribe to his conclusions, Putnam's new book "Bowling
Alone" has about 10,000,000 references om citizen involvement and the good
things that result from it! I do recall reading something about citizen
involvement being associated with positive political change.

Dennis

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:31:07 -0700 jim wrote:

> From: jim <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 15:31:07 -0700
> Subject: IMPACT of Community Participation
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Hello:
>
> We are presently engaged in a study of "citizen" (also called lay,
> public or community) participation in health reform. We are looking for
> tools and methods for assessing the IMPACT of citizen participation on
> decision-making and decisions made. More specifically, we are interested
> in answering the often-asked question "does citizen participation make a
> difference?
>
> I would greatly appreciate receiving any information you might have
> regarding the measurement of IMPACT of citizen participation.
>
> Best regards Jim
>
> Dr. C. James Frankish, BC Health Research Scholar
> Acting Director, Institute of Health Promotion Research
> Assistant Professor, Division of Preventive Medicine & Health Promotion
> Department of Health Care & Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine
> University of British Columbia
> Room 308, LPC Building, 2206 East Mall Vancouver BC V6T 1Z3
> Ph:604-822-9205  Fax:604-822-9210  E-mail: [log in to unmask]
> Web Site http://www.ihpr.ubc.ca

Visit our Web Sites for information and reports from all of our Quality of
Life Projects!
        http://www.utoronto.ca/qol         http://www.utoronto.ca/seniors

   In the early hours I read in the paper of epoch-making projects
   On the part of pope and sovereigns, bankers and oil barons.
   With my other eye I watch
   The pot with the water for my tea
   The way it clouds and starts to bubble and clears again
   And overflowing the pot quenches the fire.

   -- Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Public Health Sciences