From:
Glen Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:37:40 -0400
A very interesting question, and I suspect we'll see some major variations
in the responses.

As a consultant who does both environmental scans and needs assessments,
here's my stab at some of the differences.

An environmental scan is, in my experience, often used as part of a
strategic planning process. It tends to be fairly broad and not very deep.
It attempts to assess a wide range of factors that an organization might
want to consider as it maps out its future directions. It might include:
internal strengths and weaknesses; changing demographics of the community;
changes in economic, social and environmental climate affecting the
community; shifts in funder or donor expectations and opportunities; changes
and opportunities with 'competitors' and allied organizations; technological
developments that could impact on the agency, and other factors important
for the agency to consider. Environmental scan conclusions are sometimes
organized by a 'SWOT': Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats.
Ideally, an environmental scan also attempts to be predictive - how might
the environment shift over the coming years? Also ideally (and alas, rarely)
an environmental scan should be part of a regular cycle (every 3 to 5 years)
of a strategic planning process that allows an organization to question if
it is doing the right things and headed in the right directions.

"Needs Assessments" are typically used to develop or amend (or justify)
specific programs. They tend to be narrower in scope and deeper in detail
than an environmental scan. Often, the community and the scope of potential
neighbourhood X, for example, would conduct a needs assessment on food needs
within neighbourhood X. An environmental scan, conversely, might also
question if that is the right geographic community or the right program
area.) Ideally, a 'needs assessment' should not only identify what a
community needs, but also what capicities it has or could develop to respond
to needs. It should also identify what other organizations are already
attempting to fill the identified needs.

Hope that's of some help/interest. I'm looking forward to other responses.

Glen Brown
Glen Brown & Associates
488 Parliament Street, #1
Toronto, Ontario M4X 1P2