From:
Laura Kittel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 09:30:42 -0400
This email was forwarded to me from a member of our staff on your listserve.
I think there is a subtle difference between these two terms, and given that sometimes we use different words interchangably to mean the same thing, I am not implying that my distinction is necessarily the right or only one.

In the public health epidemiology world I see a needs assessment as a process to 'assess' needs.  As John Last states in A Dictionary of Epidemiology, the term 'needs' (which is synonymous with health needs, perceived needs, professionall defined needs, and unmet needs) has both a precise meaning and an almost indefinable meaning in the context of public health.  Thus, I would say an assessment of needs involves measurement and analysis, whether objective or subjective.

I have seen 'an environmental scan' used to refer to something different than a 'needs assessment', although the distinction might be taken to be more grey than black.  I have seen it used synonymously with a demographic profile, health status, or system monitoring profile as a whole.  These profiles are often incorporated into needs assessments as readily accessible information, but the needs assessment often goes further to include surveying, or focus groups, etc. on the particular issue.

You may want to contact the Central West Health Planning Information Network for information about the Needs-Based Planning Model, which may have some other useful information.  The website is www.cwhpin.ca.  Click on reports.  You may have to then contact Linda Feldman directly, because I notice that I get an HTTP Error when I try to access a report off the web..

Hopefully, these comments are somewhat helpful.

Adam Stevens BSc, MSc
Epidemiologist, BCHU
APHEO President, 2002

Brant County Health Unit
194 Terrace Hill St.
Brantford, Ontario, N3R 1G7
Phone: (519) 753-4937, Ext. 219
Fax: (519) 753-5942  or 2140
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

>>> [log in to unmask] 07/18/02 12:26PM >>>
Dear CLICK4HP members: We are two Research Technical Assistants, funded by the Canadian Strategy on HIV/AIDS, Health Canada, working in Alberta and Ontario to build the capacity of community-based HIV/AIDS organizations to use and produce research in order to build evidence-based practice.  A question has come up from our member organizations that we would like some help with:  What distinguishes an environmental scan from a needs assessment? What are the differences in terms of methods, purpose and definition? Any input and/or references would be appreciated.  Thank you. San Patten - Community-Based Research Coordinator, Alberta Community Council on HIVLea Narciso - Community-Based Research Coordinator, Ontario AIDS Network

Lea Narciso, Program Director, CBR Capacity Building
Ontario AIDS Network
25 Adelaide Street East, Suite 915
Toronto, Ontario M5C 3A1
Tel: 416-364-4555 Ext. 306