From:
Cindy Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2004 12:47:05 -0400
I am sending this out on behalf of Janet Allen - Public Health Nurse, Algoma
Health Unit

Two Sault Ste. Marie councillors are gaining support for a resolution to
delay the implementation of the Sault Ste. Marie 100% smoke free by-law
slated for implementation June 1st. The resolution will delay implementation
until the province acts.  The resolution will be presented for a vote at the
May 10th council meeting.  The hospitality industry has had a strong
'lobbying' presence in this community.  Council needs to be reminded of the
health risks associated with exposing people to second hand smoke and the
impact to their community if they choose not to implement it as scheduled.

We are asking organizations or groups that host meetings, workshops or
conferences for their support.

If your organization, committee or group has taken the position to not host
these events in communities that have not passed 100% smoke free by-laws,
would you please send a short letter to the Mayor and Members of Council in
the Sault.

If you do not have a 'formal position' but are comfortable stating your
willingness to first consider those communities that have passed these
by-laws when planning your events, we also need you to state this in a
letter to the Mayor and Council.

Letters need to be sent as soon as possible and before May 10th.  These may
be addressed to Mayor John Rowswell and Members of Council. Their fax number
is 705-541-7171. If possible, please copy the letter to Algoma's Medical
Officer of Health, Dr. Allan Northan - fax number: 705-759-2540

Your quick response would be most helpful as this decision may impact other
communities that have worked hard to protect people from second hand smoke.

Please contact Janet Allen if you require more information.

Janet Allen - Public Health Nurse, Algoma Health Unit
Tel:(705)541-7149   Fax:(705)759-1534