From:
Joyce Fox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 14:03:34 -0400
Health promotion can be applicable at the individual level through to the broad community level and encompasses helping indivudals ( and speciifc groups within the pospulation)find strengths and capacity within thmselves even when they are in dire cirsumstances.  While the indivudal may not be in a position to take large scale action, others who can serve as advocates for change while the individual is coping with their issue ahev an opoprtunity to influence the environment in which people who are sstruggling live.

Health promotion work can indeed be long term, and as we know from Maslow it is next to impossible to worry about that future while trying to feed or shelter your family.  It is about taking baby steps and gaining greater strength and belief that you can be susccessful, one small thing at a time.  Health promotion is not either or - education is one piece but we know that promoting healthy eating by itself will not assit people to get food on the table.
Joyce Fox