From:
Robb Travers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:44:18 -0400
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For more information in Canada, call (416) 972-1010 or e-mail
For more information in the US, call (206) 543-8178 or email

TWO ORGANIZATIONS JOIN FORCES TO PROMOTE HEALTH IN COMMUNITIES ACROSS
NORTH AMERICA Community-academic partnerships viewed as key strategy

Toronto-based Wellesley Central Health Corporation and Seattle-based
Community-Campus Partnerships for Health have announced a partnership to
promote health in communities across North America through
community-academic partnerships.  Both organizations view these
partnerships as a key strategy for understanding and addressing the
complex determinants of health, and ultimately achieving healthier
communities.

"Health-promoting partnerships between communities and academic
institutions are gaining ground in both Canada and the United States,"
says Sarena D. Seifer, CCPH's Executive Director.  "The time is right
for partnerships in both countries to collectively build on our
successes and lessons learned."

"We began with a local vision of advancing partnerships in
community-based research to improve the health of our communities,"
expressed Rick Blickstead, Wellesley Central's Chief Executive Officer.
"We are now gaining recognition across North America for our innovative
and leading edge work in capacity building for community-based
research."

The first initiative of the partnership is the launch of a
Community-Based Participatory Research electronic discussion group (or
listserv) as a learning and information sharing resource.  To sign up,
go to https://mailman.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/cbpr

Additional collaborative activities in development include: partnership
brokering by building a database of individuals and organizations
interested in community-academic partnership approaches to health,
developing new resources to support community-academic partnerships and
enhancing the broader acceptance and status of community-based
participatory research and community-based learning.   Joining the CBPR
listserv is one way to be kept informed about these initiatives and
opportunities for involvement.  Interested individuals and organizations
are also encouraged to become members of Community-Campus Partnerships
for Health at www.ccph.info.

About Community-Campus Partnerships for Health (CCPH)
CCPH is a nonprofit membership organization that promotes health through
partnerships between communities and higher educational institutions.
These partnerships are powerful tools for improving health professional
education, civic responsibility and the overall health of communities.
To learn more, visit www.ccph.info.

About Wellesley Central
Wellesley Central emerged out of the closure of one of Canada's leading
inner city hospitals that focused on the health of marginalized
communities.  In its current inception Wellesley Central no longer
provides direct care but is dedicated to building and strengthening
communities though assisting coalitions, enhancing capacities and though
supporting community- and policy-relevant research.  To learn more,
visit www.wellesleycentral.com