From:
Jim Frankish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:50:26 -0700
HI Nancy:

Thanks, Andres was a good friend. Will there be a service where I can send
some flowers. Also, the pictures didn't come through. Take Care Jim

At 03:07 PM 7/24/01 -0400, you wrote:
>For any of you who knew Andres, sad news of his passing today after a five
>year battle with lymphoma.
>
>Nancy Dubois
>Health Promotion Consultant
>12 Finlay Street, Scotland, ON     N0E 1R0
>(519) 446-3636 / fax (519) 446-3329
>[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]

>Dr. Andres Petrasovits
>February 11,1937 - July 24, 2001
>For every joy that passes, a warm memory will live on in our hearts!
>
>To The Dear Friends and Colleagues of Dr. Andres Petrasovits,
>
>After a long and valiant 5-year battle with lymphoma, it is with deep sorrow
>that we announce the death of our dear friend and colleague, Dr. Andres
>Petrasovits, born February 11, 1937 in Valladolid, Spain, and predeceased by
>his former wife and friend, the late Anne Petrasovits.
>
> >From 1990 until his passing, as Senior Advisor of the Heart Health/WHO
>Collaborating Centre within Health Canada, and Co-Director of CINDI Canada,
>Dr. Petrasovits was a very active and extremely dedicated worker to the
>cause of heart health around the world.
>
>Dr. Petrasovits came to Health Canada in 1971, working in the Food and Drug
>Directorate, Program Evaluation Directorate, the Non-Medical Use of Drugs
>Directorate and the Health Promotion Directorate.  From 1965-71, he was a
>research scientist in the Statistical Research Service, with the Department
>of Agriculture.
>
> >From 1962-65, Andres was a research/teaching assistant, fellow with the
>Department of Statistics at Florida State University.  From 1961-62, he was
>a Fullbright Scholar, Department of Economics, Department of Mathematical
>Statistics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
>
>Not only did Dr. Petrasovits have a heart of gold, but he was a very learned
>man, holding various degrees: Master in Public Health, Harvard School of
>Public Health, Boston; a Ph.D. in Mathematical Statistics, Florida State
>University, Tallahassee, Florida.; an M.S. in Mathematical Statistics,
>Florida State University; a Master (sp.: licenciado) in Economics,
>Universidad Commercial de Deusto, Bilbao, Spain; and a Master (sp.:
>licenciado) in Law, University of Valladolid, Spain.
>
>Andres will always be remembered for pioneering and sustaining the Canadian
>Heart Health Initiative throughout its various phases, an endeavour that
>remained near and dear to his heart right to the very end.
>
>As you are considered to be a part of Andres's international family, we know
>that you will appreciate some of the attached photographs that have been
>taken from the Heart Health photo album.  Our thanks, in particular, to Dr.
>John Farquhar, for these photographs, most of which were taken on Saltspring
>Island, British Columbia, a place the Andres loved so well.  Take a moment
>to reflect on this magnificent man's life.
>
> >From all of us, Andres, may the waters of Cordoneau run deep!
>
>Leslie Lawson Flynn                    Sandra Macdonald
> [...]

Dr. C. James Frankish, BC Health Research Scholar
Associate Director, Institute of Health Promotion Research
Associate Professor, Faculty of Graduate Studies
Member, Division of Population Health & Health Services Research
Department of Health Care & Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine
University of British Columbia
Room 308, LPC Building, 2206 East Mall Vancouver BC V6T 1Z3
Ph:6048229205  Fax:6048229210
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web Site http:\\www.ihpr.ubc.ca