Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:05:06 +1000
Hi all,

There seems more than a huge amount of evidence already collected
concerning the link PA and Health/Mental Health. See for instance, that
contained within the files section of my email group Physical Activity
for Mental Health
(http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/PhysicalActivityforMentalHealth).

There is also evidence concerning the health role that, as a subcontext
of PA, bicycling per se has (see, for example, that contained at
http://www.bfa.asn.au/bfanew/resources/cycling_and_health.htm and my own
brief article, at http://www.depressionet.com.au/articles/exercise.html)

What is less known, as far as I can ascertain, is the comparative
advantages that specific forms of PA (bicycling, walking, swimming,
jogging, etc) may confer, such that one would recommend one particular
form above the rest in terms of either/and a) promoting global 'mental
health'( either at the individual level, or the societal) and, b) in
respect to the treatment of already extant psychiatric disorder.

Is there any evidence out there which may assist in putting the point
that bicycling is more efficient, in the fields given above, than say
power walking and jogging?

Any help appreciated!

well wishes,

Kate Walker