From:
"Duchcherer, Crystal SCHR" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 08:55:09 -0600
This is a tragedy!  However, I do not feel that more jail time is
necessarily the most appropriate and effective way of dealing this this
situation...we need better "up stream" thinking!  If you were to ask people
as to what amount of jail time is sufficient, every person would have a
different answer, as I feel you can not put a time value on the loss of
another person's life.  It is sad to see that this particular offender (and
many others) has gotten this far without help!  There are abviously
underlying issues for this offender and help should have been provided at an
earlier stage.  With this I am unaware of Ontario's laws for first time,
second time, etc offences for driving under the influence.  As well, what
kind of support and counselling is being provided for these parents,
families, and friends of the "victims"?  Our system focuses so much on
justice and dare I say people focus on "revenge" at times...is this our
solution!!!  More jail time will not signifficantly stop these offenses from
occuring, we need to stop the problem before it starts.  My intentions are
not to offend Ray and Georgina Trudeau and my greatest sympathy goes out to
them both.

Crystal

Crystal Duchcherer, RN, BSN
Needs Assessment Coordinator, Public Health
Sun Country Health Region
(306) 842.8699 Phone
(306) 842.8637 Fax