SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Bojana Beric <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:40:43 -0400
Dear Sarena,

Thank you for your thoughtful invitation to active participation in discussion. I would like to draw our attention to the meaning of community (construct) and then to pose some questions.

"Community" may not have the same meaning to all, therefore, operationalization of the construct or a community development and/or community organization, may not be the same process or outcome for all involved who are observing it, or studying and measuring it. Community development/organization is a collaborative, interactive process... with active participation. For example, I live in a "community" which really is not a community according to the above understanding of it. There is no active participation, no action, no commonly generated agenda; we just live in the same section of the town….

Along with it, very important is cultural origin & beliefs of individuals who are constituents of the "community:" do they come from individualistic or collectivistic culture. Therefore, very important is an individual member’s definition of a person: is it individualistic or collectivistic?  The differences in perceptions and measurement units of the "community" therefore, may differ widely and may cause disagreements. Particularly, if we use individualistic units of measure to measure collectivistic nature of community and vice versa, may cause disagreements in views and great differences/disappointments in perceptions and attitudes of all involved… how is power defined in individualistic vs. collectivistic cultures?

Is a community a process or an outcome?
How do we define participation: an empowerment at an individual level, at the community level?  What is the difference?
Is there a community in a school/college classroom?
How do we learn about the power and control?

Thanks & regards to All,
Bojana Beric

In a message dated 8/2/2005 12:56:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Sarena Seifer <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Dear Linda,
>
>Thank you for your insightful observations - I hope you and others
>on this list will also share your perspectives on CBPR on the CBPR
>listserv at https://mailman1.u.washington.edu/mailman/listinfo/cbpr
>
>Also, I hope you'll plan to participate in Community-Campus Partnerships
>for Health's next conference, the whole focus of which is "Walking the
>Talk: Achieving the Promise of Authentic Partnerships" The conference
>will be delving into the questions and issues you raise below about power
>and community participation: "With the remarkable expansion of interest
>and investment in community-campus partnerships, we believe the time is
>right to take a critical look at these partnerships in all of their
>iterations and ask (and answer) key questions about where we are now,
>where we are going and where we need to be.
>
>*How do we fully realize authentic partnerships between communities and
>higher educational institutions?
>*How do we balance power and share resources among partners?
>*How do we build community and campus capacity to engage each other as
>partners?
>*How do we create healthier communities through partnerships?
>*What are the barriers and challenges getting in our way?
>*How do we overcome these, individually and collectively?
>*How do we translate "principles" and "best practices" into widespread,
>expected practice?"
>
>The conference website is at
>http://depts.washington.edu/ccph/conf-overview.html.  Workshop and poster
>proposals are due on October 7; the conference is May 31-June 3, 2006 in
>Minneapolis, MN USA.
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Sarena
>Community-Campus Partnerships for Health
>www.ccph.info
>

>On Tue, 2 Aug 2005, Linda Green wrote:
>
>>> Announcing the publication of Methods in Community-Based Participatory
>>> Research
>>> for Health Edited by Barbara A. Israel DrPH, Eugenia Eng DrPH, Amy J.