SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Teresa Mitchel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 10:32:59 -0800
Dennis,
First, thank you for connecting me, and all of us, to this important
body of information and allowing a format for discussion.

I have three things to bring to the table today.

First, I am going to be giving a presentation to a group of
"influencers" in Fresno, California next month on SDOH.  If that goes
well we will take it around to groups throughout the city.  The first
step is to educate my own committee members about SDOH.  To that end
I would like to give them a brief (no more than 10 pages) write-up
about SDOH and refer them to several references if they want more
information.

The next thing I would like to throw open to members of this
listserve is how to reconcile SDOH with an asset model of growth and
development.  Briefly, asset development focuses on peoples' and
organizations' strengths and seeks to increase that which is desired
versus focusing on what's wrong.  For over a year now I've read
postings on this site and have felt that there is much energy of
fighting against something, rather than visualizing what we really
want for ourselves and our communities, and building the new
structures that support those dreams.

There is a strong movement in Fresno to commit to an asset model of
development for bringing about change.  For my part, I want to look
at the SDOH and for each one ask what is it we want?  So, rather than
fighting poverty, I want to enhance economic thriving for all people.
I think there is a significant difference between those two points.
Perhaps we would then focus more on what makes people thrive. We
could even have measures of thriving on which we would focus, instead
of measures of poverty.

I'm wondering if there is anyone else in this group that has given
this any thought OR anyone that would like to muse about this subtle
shift in consciousness.

My last request is for examples of large-scale commitment to SDOH.
We are going to work at the city level (Fresno is about 500,000
pop.).  What's working?  How are different sectors
participating/responding?  Is the work grassroots, top-down or both?

I am very appreciative of whatever you, my fellow change-agents, have
to offer relative to any of the above.

Terry Mitchel
Professional change-agent and inspirer