From:
Health Promotion Clearinghouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:07:33 -0400
Hello,

Here is another site recommended by Literacy Nova Scotia (in addition to NALD): www.literacytrust.org.uk

I also spoke with Lynn Chiarelli (CPHA's National Literacy and Health Program) and she provided a few additional insights.

(1) She is not aware of a comprehensive glossary of plain language medical terms.

(2) CPHA has a useful resource on using plain language in communicating health information:

National Literacy and Health Program, and the Canadian Public Health Association (1998) Easy Does It! Plain Language and Clear Verbal
Communication. Canadian Public Health Association. Ontario.It is available through CPHA ($20). I have seen a sample of the document and it does look
very helpful.

(3) The National Institute for Literacy (NIFL) - an American organization - has some helpful links and also has a discussion group. Perhaps you could
post your question on listserv and somebody could point you to a more specific resource. http://www.nifl.gov/

(4)  The Canadian Coalition for Immunization Awareness and Promotion has developed a number of plain language resources (e.g., posters, pamphlets,
etc.). You can see/download them at http://www.immunize.cpha.ca/english/poster.htm

I have also found some interesting links at http://www.healthliteracy.com/.

I hope that this is  this is helpful.

Caroline