SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
"Lavell, Shannon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:47:15 -0800
Hi Kristi
As a matter of fact, having a safe tantrum with a supportive person
would be a good idea. According to a diverse number of psychological
counselling theories and most importantly from my own experience, the
release of emotions/distress patterns occurs through tears, laughter,
yawns, sweats/heat, tantrums and trembling/shivering.

If we have safe relationships where these processes can be released then
clearer thinking follows. Of course it takes the establishment of
trusting support relationships and ideally where the support goes both
ways.

Of course there are lots of wasy to get support but I find that the best
practices include these aspects either directly or indirectly.

I highly recommend "getting sessions" when the insanity of the world
seems so glaringly apparent.

Most oppressions work to separate people from this kind of support. Ie.
The kind of targetting/recruitng of young people in some  countries for
inclusion in military/violent groups: Scare the crap out them and
Messages like "don't think for yourself". Believe there are good guys
and bad guys... That king of thing.

Working on our own "internalized oppression" is a good thing in order to
avoid burnout.
Keep that enthusiasm and passion and go for the tantrum!
All the best,

Shannon Lavell RN BSN MA
Counsellor, PFCS
BCCA - Centre for the Southern Interoir