SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Ana Natale-Pereira <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:37:50 -0500
Meant to say Ethnic food is NOT bad, just different....I love my
Uruguayan steaks and chorizos.....and my best friend's Rice and
Beans.....
ANA

Ana Natale-Pereira, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Division of Academic Medicine, Geriatrics, and Community Programs
Medical Director
Focus Community Health Center
449 Broad Street
Newark, New Jersey 07102
973-972-0980
973-972-0984 Fax

Once more, here is an effort at the National level to impart on us HOW
to do something.  Little of respect in the plan for cultural
differences
in eating habits, and for the financial ability of individuals to pay
for the increasing prices of fruits and vegetables.  "Ethnic food" is
bad for your health is just a different way of eating.
Perhaps we should focus more on public education about health,
MODERATION in our intake, and most importantly in addressing WHY
people
eat what they eat, and WHY obesity is worse among the poor, and WHY
life
stressors have more impact on health than food.
At a rate of $1.99 per pound for apples (about 3) ,  $2.99 per pound
for red peppers (about 2), etc....and a minimum wage still under $6.00
per hour....it is not easy to eat the "USA new diet".

Oh well...I am not ready to give up the chocolate just yet....

ANA

Ana Natale-Pereira, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Division of Academic Medicine, Geriatrics, and Community Programs
Medical Director
Focus Community Health Center
449 Broad Street
Newark, New Jersey 07102
973-972-0980
973-972-0984 Fax

EATING MY SPINACH
Four Days on the Uncle Sam Diet ...
By WILLIAM GRIMES
Published: January 23, 2005

 WHEN the Agriculture Department unveiled its new dietary guidelines
this
month, it laid down a challenge to all Americans: Eat better, smarter
and
healthier, or else. The "or else" included a long list of ailments
that
plague the developed world, from heart disease and osteoporosis to
diabetes.

Along with the stick, however, came some nice, healthy carrots: Follow
the
guidelines and you will be stocking up on nutrients that help prevent
cancer. You should also lose some weight. Odds are you'll live longer
and
feel better. Just stick to the road map.

I gave it a try, curious to see how hard it would be to change my
eating
patterns to fit the program, which seemed to be calling not just for
nutritional change, but cultural change - a redefinition of what makes
meal... SNIP

http://nytimes.com/2005/01/23/weekinreview/23grim.html

the subject header --  to [log in to unmask]
SIGNOFF SDOH

DO NOT SEND IT BY HITTING THE REPLY BUTTON. THIS SENDS THE MESSAGE TO
THE ENTIRE LISTSERV AND STILL DOES NOT REMOVE YOU.

To subscribe to the SDOH list, send the following message to
[log in to unmask] in the text section, NOT in the subject header.

Include in the Subject, its content, and location and date, if
relevant.

To receive messages only once a day, send the following message to
SET SDOH DIGEST

To view the SDOH archives, go to:
http://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/sdoh.html