From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 19:19:34 -0500
The following info is specifically about the Toronto Project.  For
information about the other projects please go to
http://www.utoronto.ca/seniors

Improving Seniors' Quality of Life
Améliorer la qualité de vie des aînés
Halifax Québec Montréal Ottawa Toronto Regina Whitehorse Vancouver

Quality of Life Research Unit
University of Toronto
100 College St.
Suite 511
Toronto
M5G 1L5

tel:    (416) 978-1101
fax:    (416) 946-3680
email: [log in to unmask]

The Project

Improving the Quality of Life of Seniors is a participatory project
designed to provide urban seniors across Canada with a forum to address the
issues that affect their health and well-being.

Funded by Health Canada in recognition of the International Year of Older
Persons (1999), this national project consists of locally directed
satellite projects in 8 Canadian cities. The project began in April of 1999
and ends in March of 2001.

In each city, a Seniors Coordinating Committee and a university
co-investigator collaborate to carry out the work. Many of the local
projects also have an Advisory Committee made up of representatives from
seniors organizations, to provide guidance and direction.

Project Goals

1.      To collect information about issues that are of concern to seniors
2.      To explore the relationship between these issues and public policy
3.      To take action based on the first two goals

The Key Issues

In the fall of 1999, the Toronto advisory and coordinating committees,
along with individual seniors, identified 9 topics of discussion for our
Toronto focus groups:

1. Access to information
2. Acute illness and injury
3. Cultural issues
4. Hearing seniors' voices
5. Housing
6. Income and benefits
7. Long term health care
8. Promoting healthy lifestyles
9. Transportation and mobility

Four Questions

The focus groups addressed four questions in relation to these topics:

        1.  What policy decisions made by governments are affecting seniors'
quality of life?
        2.  How do these decisions affect the quality of life of seniors?
        3.  What influences are leading governments to make these decisions?
        4.  What responses to these decisions might be made?

How You Can Participate

We want to hear from seniors, seniors organizations, and service agencies.

If you are a member of an organization or service provider, you may wish to
have your group become an Associate Organization.

Information about the role you would play in spreading the word about this
project and taking action to implement its findings is found on our website.

We also need your help in collecting  written materials related to the nine
issues identified as influencing seniors' quality of life. If you know of
any such materials, please contact us.

Visit us at www.utoronto.ca/seniors On the "focus groups" page, you will
find summaries of the discussions held in Toronto and a ‘comments' section
in which you can enter your views.

If you don't have access to the internet you might also contribute by
contacting us and/or sending us your written comments.

Your Comments

The issues I am commenting on are:

___     Access to information           ___     Acute illness and injury
___     Cultural issues                 ___     Hearing seniors' voices
___     Housing                         ___     Income and benefits
___     Long term health care           ___     Promoting healthy lifestyles
___     Transportation and mobility             ___     Other (please specify)

Contact Us

Ivan Brown, Project Manager
(416) 978-1101

Bev McClelland, Co-chair
Toronto Coordinating Committee
(416) 481-6374

Dennis Raphael
University of Toronto
(416) 978-7567

To find out more about our project, visit our website:
www.utoronto.ca/seniors
Visit our Web Site for information about our Seniors Participatory and
Community Quality of Life Projects!  Free Reports Also.

  http://www.utoronto.ca/qol      http://www.utoronto.ca/seniors

  Long have I looked for the truth about the life of people together.
  That life is crisscrossed, tangled, and difficult to understand.
  I have worked hard to understand it and when I had done so
  I told the truth as I found it.

  - Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Associate Director,
Masters of Health Science Program in Health Promotion
Department of Public Health Sciences
Graduate Department of Community Health
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, Room 101