From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:00:35 -0500
Colleagues,  I have a new book coming out this January:

Health Promotion and Quality of Life in Canada: Essential Readings

Below are details about it.

My publisher has informed me that:

"Yes, the book could be adopted for a January course ? we'll have finished
copies in our warehouse on or about January 15th, 2010."

Attached is a pdf file with details about it.

If you are interested in adopting for January, please contact me at
[log in to unmask]  NOT the list and I can forward further info about it.

Thanks,

dr

Table of Contents
Introduction
1. Setting the stage: Why quality of life? Why health promotion?
Part 1: Health Promotion and Quality of Life: Individual Perspectives
2. Quality of life indicators and health.
3. Quality of life: What are the implications for health promotion?
4. The quality of life profile - adolescent version.
5. Measuring the quality of life of older persons.
Part 2: Health Promotion and Quality of Life: Community and Policy
Perspectives
6. Making the links between community structure and individual well-being.

7. Community quality of life in low income urban neighbourhoods.
8. What do Canadian seniors say supports their quality of life?
9. The welfare state as a determinant of women?s health.
Part 3: Health Promotion and Quality of Life: The Role of the Social
Determinants of Health
10.  Addressing the social determinants of health in Canada.
11. Social determinants of health: Present status, unresolved questions,
and future directions.
12. Maintaining population health in a period of welfare state decline.
13. The State's role in promoting population health.
Part 4: Health Promotion and Quality of Life: Vulnerable Populations
14. Indigenous well-being in four countries.
15. Working precariously: The impact of race and immigrant status on
employment opportunities and outcomes.
16. Employment and persons with disabilities in Canada.
17. A call to combat poverty and exclusion of Canadians with disabilities.

18.  Economic gender equality indicators, 2000.
Part 5: Moving Towards Action
19. Barriers to addressing the social determinants of health.
20.  Income and health research in Canada: Needs, gaps, and opportunities.

21. Identifying and strengthening the structural roots of urban health.
22. Getting serious about addressing the social determinants of health.
Conclusion
23. Can increasing concern with quality of life encourage health promoting
public policy?

Dennis Raphael, PhD
Professor of Health Policy and Management
York University
4700 Keele Street
Room 418, HNES Building
Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3
416-736-2100, ext. 22134
email: [log in to unmask]
http://www.atkinson.yorku.ca/draphael

Of interest:

*NEW*  Social Determinants of Health: Canadian Perspectives, 2nd edition,
edited by Dennis Raphael
Forewords by Carolyn Bennett and Roy Romanow
http://tinyurl.com/5l6yh9

Poverty and Policy in Canada: Implications for Health and Quality of Life
by Dennis Raphael
Foreword by Jack Layton
http://tinyurl.com/2hg2df

Staying Alive: Critical Perspectives on Health, Illness, and Health Care,
edited by Dennis Raphael, Toba Bryant, and Marcia Rioux
Foreword by Gary Teeple
http://tinyurl.com/2zqrox

See a lecture!  The Politics of Population Health
http://msl.stream.yorku.ca/mediasite/viewer/?peid=ac604170-9ccc-4268-a1af-9a9e04b28e1d

Also, presentation on Politics and Health at the Centre for Health
Disparities in Cleveland Ohio
http://www.case.edu/med/ccrhd/education